Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Nobody Puts Baby In The Corner

Patrick Swayze (1952-2009)

Patrick Swayze did many popular movies. Dirty Dancing and Ghost come to mind. But the one movie with Swayze that will always stand out in my mind is Road House.

Road House is the one of the funniest films I have ever seen for a couple reasons. The interesting thing about it is that none of these reasons are meant to make the film funny. Then there is the scene where you see Swayze doing Tai Chi. It is such a random scene that it makes me laugh every time I see it. It is as though Swayze just went up to the director and was like, "Hey, I have a GREAT idea." Or maybe it was the blind guitar player's idea.

All of the backwoods characters are so fantastically funny it adds an entirely new level of comedy to the movie. Emmett, the owner of the barn, reminds me so much of Uncle Jesse on The Dukes of Hazzard that I expect the General Lee to come peeling around the corner with Roscoe P. Coltrane following behind in "hot pursuit!"

Road House is not a film that changed the industry by any means, but I believe it was definitely the best of Swayze's work.

No comments:

Post a Comment